The campaign “ICHCHA-a desire to live” is being conceptualised to deal with the social issue of female foeticides on behalf of Save Girl Child Organisation for a period of 4 months from June 2010-September.
The campaign will deal with the issue of practical implementation of monetary incentives scheme for women and initiate an online petition, generate more website traffic and engage people in order to bring momentum to the cause. The main creative strategies would be to launch a viral video, start social media web pages where group activities will take place, a blog for the press and an online publication will be launched during the last month of the campaign where members can contribute write-ups.
The major concerns that have called for a need to initiate this online campaign are:
- Lack of visibility of the main website; thus, lesser reach
- Less scope for audience interactivity and involvement with the issue
- Practical implement of the monetary incentives scheme has not yet been achieved
Shocking statistics have been released time and again to highlight the gravity of the evil and a lot has been written about it. Weaving around the issue of female foeticides, the purpose of this campaign is to not only create awareness and inform people but also stimulate thought processes and generate discussions. The reason why we have chosen a viral social media campaign is to sensitise people about how serious the problem is and what consequences will it generate for the posterity. The campaign will aim to resolve the issues of the organisation. One of the main visions of the organisation is “practical implementation of the monetary incentives be given to women who give birth to girls and not just in theory”. Unfortunately, it hasn’t been achieved till now. Thus, it gives us a solid reason to bring the organisation into a cyber world which has the ability to unite people for such endeavours.
Other issues that substantiate the launch of an online campaign are that the website lacks prominence as compared to its competitors. Scope for interactivity with the target audience is negligible. It contains a lot of relevant information about women related causes and social stigmas but doesn’t clearly state their plan of action or strategy to mobilise the causes.
Since a social cause always seeks public attention, it becomes vital to engage people in discussions, debates, groups, clubs etc. through this campaign, we aim to open more outsourcing channels for the organisation which would give people the right and inclination to make decisions, participate keenly in social media activities and take the cause further. Through social media platforms and an interactive website, it will not spread awareness but also help in a building a community of supporters who would inspire others to join in.
The objectives of the campaign will be:
- Engage 500,000 people in a Facebook, Orkut and Flickr group within 4 months
- Sign a petition for practical implementation of monetary incentives to women who give birth to girl(s).
- Spread awareness against the evil of female foeticides
- Start an online publication run by the members of the group
- Generate website traffic through social media platforms
- College and university students, working men and women, media (primary)
- Doctors and medical students (secondary)
- As discussed earlier, the campaign commences with the launch of a viral video about the female foeticides. The video will be available on YouTube and the link to the video shall be provided on Facebook, Orkut, Flickr and www.savegirlchild.org.
- Proud to be a gal to be placed as status update on Facebook and Orkut pages for a month by members. This would be a fun activity which would also generate curiosity among other Facebook users.
- 1st July is celebrated as Daughter’s Day in India. To make into a daughter’s month, a picture sharing pool on Flickr.
- Slogan writing contest for the campaign would begin to compliment the picture sharing pool. The slogans will be voted by the members and the best slogan will become the slogan of the month!
- The Online publication will be launched as the last activity in order to keep the members involved in the cause.
- Signing the petition: The main motive of signing the petition would be the practical implementation of monetary incentives to be given to women at the birth of a girl child and not just in theory.